Wake up people! There are TONS of jobs available. You just have to work on your creative hunting tactics. Below is a list of a few out-of-the-box methods to land that dream job.
- Seriously? No college student should be looking at this list. You PAY for career assistance at whatever college or university you are attending. Visit the career center, and you will be greeted by a list of available jobs on and off campus. If you have Federal Work Study, that’s even better. You will receive a job immediately because the government sponsors you to work and take classes.
- If that’s not enough, Fortune 500 and Fortune 1000 companies LOVE college students. They always have summer internship programs in your field of study. For example there is the Disney College Program; there is the ATT Corporate Real Estate Internship, and so much more. Check out the site of a big name company, and see for yourself.
- There are too many agencies to list. There are over 40 different chains in the city of San Diego alone. Google Search all the agencies in your area, and check out their websites, open jobs, and applicant reviews.
- When you speak with a recruiter, you can speak freely without the pressure of a job interview. Tell them what you are good at, what you are interested in, and your qualifications. The recruiter may give you suggestions that you never thought of before. Consider them, but don’t lose sight of your dreams.
- Staffing Agencies are a long process. You will fill out applications and take assessment tests. This usually takes 2 -3 hours. However, it is worth it in the end. You will be offered opportunities to work temporarily.
- Temporary positions are great. They give you a chance to see if the position is right while getting paid. It also gives the employer insight on your capabilities.
- After speaking with the Front Desk agent at a popular staffing company, she revealed that she started off working temporarily and it led to full-time, permanent employment.
- This is for the free spirits who are looking for new experiences. This is also for people who just want to break out of their comfort zones and expand their cultural awareness. English is a popular language, and many countries wish to learn it. So if you are a native English speaker than this is a good option for you.
- There are tons of TESOL companies out there, but make sure they are legite. If you have a Bachelor’s degree or higher, you do not need to pay the fee to obtain the TESOL certificate. Don’t let anyone scam you. You only pay the $200 working visa fee.
- For everyone else who do not have degrees, you can easily take classes with a reputable program. After you finish the classes, which usually take a month, you are prepared to be shipped abroad and teach.
- Here are just a few good programs to team up with. (These are for teaching in Asia because Asia offers the highest salaries.) (1) JET Programme -http://www.jetprogramme.org, (2) Aeon -http://aeonet.com, (3) Park English, http://www.parkenglish.com.
- These programs provide housing, stable work, and a plane trip to your destination. You Tube successful candidates and ask them questions about their experiences.
- Third party job search sites are usually the last resort for companies. On that note, why don’t you visit to the company website yourself? Search the business directory in your city, visit the company’s website, and apply for open positions directly. You will be surprised by the amount of businesses and openings available.
- If you are a bold individual, then you can call the company directly and use your charm to connect with the management there.
- Sometimes people are unsure of what they want. Volunteering is the best option for these people. Try out many different avenues, and locate your interest.
- Most volunteer programs are for non-profit organizations. This is a good way to really get to know your community, so don’t expect to land a job this way. They are teaching you; not the other way around. However, there have been cases where passionate volunteers were hired for a paying staff position. But you should never expect this. Your reward is helping people.
- Check out Volunteer Match for multiple opportunities.
- However, if this is not your route then you can volunteer with the company of interest. If you dazzle management with your dedication, you will definitely be considered for a paid position.
Social Media and other Internet Strategies
- Social Media is HUGE. You can use it to advertise yourself and showcase your talent and skills. If you are popular, and receive a lot of followers, then that shows people are into what you are doing, which registers as good business for the employer.
- What is even better is if you have a website with an official email account under your website. This shows your commitment to your talents and skills. Another plus for getting employed.
- Here’s a short list of free ways to advertise yourself online: LinkedIn, Merchant Circle, Word Press, Blogger, Face Book, Twitter, Ezine Article, Blog Talk Radio, YouTube, Deviant Art, Idealist, and so much more.
- You already know this method. You can walk into your favorite stores and ask for an application. Fill it out, and turn it into the manager. Make sure it goes directly to the manager.
Communicating and Networking
- Being a strong communicator is very important. So what happens if you are the shy type? That’s okay, practice makes perfect.
- The best way to socialize is to join groups that match your interest. There are over 101 different groups on Meetup.com. Create a profile and join a group of like-mind individuals. In a relaxed environment, it will be easy to interact with people and have fun doing so. You may even come out with some long-term friends.
- If there isn’t a group that connects with your interest, then create one. This shows good leadership and problem solving qualities.
- Another way to build your communication skills professionally and land a good job is taking classes. If you feel you don’t have enough experience, then take some classes so you can no longer use that as an excuse.
This is just a few of the millions of methods to land your dream job. If you know of more ways, then list them in the comments section.